How Battery Energy Storage Works
NextEra Energy Resources uses state-of-the-art battery energy systems that are safe and reliable. Here’s how they work:
- A Battery Management System monitors the equipment to ensure safe, reliable transfer of energy.
- A computerized monitoring system evaluates many factors, such as weather forecasts and power prices, to determine when to use the battery energy storage system.
- In the charging cycle, energy from the power grid, or from renewable energy sources, is delivered through equipment called inverters. The inverters convert alternating current (AC) to direct current (DC) and charge the batteries. Today’s batteries can only store DC.
- When the energy is needed on the power system, the inverters convert the DC from the batteries back into AC.
- This energy is stepped up in voltage and ultimately delivered to the power system.
- From there, the energy is distributed to homes, schools, businesses and other consumers.