Renewable Energy Certificates
NextEra Energy Resources, a World Leader in Renewable Energy
We have more than 25 years of experience building and operating renewable energy facilities such as wind and solar. NextEra Energy Resources is the largest renewable energy generator in North America. The Renewable Energy Certificates, or RECs, that we generate provide corporations and institutions with a convenient way to purchase renewable energy, offset carbon emissions and encourage new clean energy development.
What are Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs)?
RECs provide for the transfer of the environmental benefits associated with renewable energy between parties and are an important value stream for renewable energy projects. RECs are used to meet certain state renewable energy requirements, but also allow stakeholders to meet corporate sustainability or greenhouse gas emission reduction goals. Individuals who choose to mitigate their own impact on the environment can also benefit from RECs.
- RECs enable anyone, in any geographic location, to claim the emission avoidance associated with energy production and support renewable energy development.
- RECs provide green power options in areas that may not be suitable for renewable resources, allowing renewable facilities to be located where they are the most efficient.
- A REC is created when one megawatt-hour of renewable energy is produced from a qualified renewable energy generation plant.
- RECs represent the energy's avoided emissions benefit when compared to energy being produced from a facility burning fossil fuels.
- Only the owner of the REC can claim the environmental benefits of the clean energy production.
Benefits of RECs
- Helping to fight climate change by reducing your corporation's carbon footprint
- Building stronger stakeholder relationships with customers, investors, employees and the community
- Strengthening your brand image and increasing competitive advantage
- Promoting your sustainability efforts and environmental responsibility
- Supporting both existing and future demand for clean renewable energy development by making it more cost-competitive
- Assuring that more certified renewable energy is delivered to the power grid, thus requiring less fossil fuel sources to power our country's energy needs
Benefits of purchasing NextEra Energy Resources RECs
- Association of your organization with the U.S. leader in renewable energy generation
- Avoidance of the costs associated with third-party marketers and resellers
- Affiliation with an award-winning company recognized for its 20-year history of environmental leadership, stewardship and partnerships
- RECs sourced from a company with world-class expertise in large-scale development, construction and operation of wind/solar facilities
- Customizable products – our geographically diverse facilities allow for flexibility in preferred source location, mix and vintage
- Security from a company with strong financial backing – credit size and strength for performance assurance and stability (U.S. owned)
- NextEra Energy Resources offers Green-e Energy Certified REC products
Corporate and Institutional Engagement
A growing number of businesses and institutions are taking action on environmental issues to demonstrate social responsibility and to strengthen stakeholder relationships with customers, investors, employees and the community. For example, a large number of universities and Fortune 500 companies are developing conservation and energy-efficiency programs, as well as purchasing emission offset products, to mitigate their greenhouse gas emissions.
- In 2015, more than 150 companies signed the American Business Act on Climate Pledge to demonstrate their support for action on climate change and the conclusion of a climate change agreement in Paris that takes a strong step forward toward a low-carbon, sustainable future. (Source: https://www.whitehouse.gov/climate-change/pledge)
- The World Wildlife Fund has found that 60 percent of the Fortune 100 companies have set public sustainability and clean energy goals. (Source: World Wildlife Fund and report “Power Forward: Why the World’s Largest Companies are Investing in Renewable Energy.”)
EarthEra Renewable Energy Trust
For more information on how NextEra Energy Resources can help fulfill your renewable energy needs, e-mail us at RECsales@NextEraEnergy.com or call us directly at 866-791-0972.