What is solar energy used for?
There are numerous uses for solar energy, including heating water for residential use, space heating of buildings, drying agricultural products and generating electrical energy.
What are some advantages of solar energy?
After the initial investment in solar-energy equipment, the costs are minimal since the sun provides free "fuel." These facilities are not affected by the supply and demand of fuel and subject to price volatility, and solar energy can help reduce our dependence on foreign sources of energy. Solar energy is also clean and renewable, which helps protect our environment.
How Does Solar Energy Work?
1. As light hits the solar panels, the solar energy is converted into direct current (DC) electricity.
2. The direct current flows from the panels into power inverters and is converted into altering current (AC) electricity, which is suitable for use by homes and businesses.
3. The AC electricity from the power inverters is collected using cables and delivered to a central electrical substation, where it passes through a power transformer.
4. The electricity travels through transformers, and the voltage is boosted for delivery onto the transmission lines.
5. Clean, renewable, American-made solar electricity is delivered to homes and businesses.
How many solar facilities does your company have and where are they located?
NextEra Energy Resources is the world’s largest generator of renewable energy from the wind and the sun. We currently have more than 3,160 MW of operating solar projects (as of Dec. 31, 2020), representing universal-scale solar facilities in 27 states, as well as multiple small-scale (distributed generation) solar projects.
Are solar facilities good for the environment?
Solar energy offsets pollution from fossil fuels and the overall impact of solar on human health is overwhelmingly positive. To learn more, view our "Solar energy and the environment" fact sheet.
What percentage of generation does solar energy represent in NextEra Energy Resources' portfolio?
Solar energy represents about 13 percent of NextEra Energy Resources' generation.